If you’ve a space mad kid or craft addict these are a great project. Quick to make and not too messy, they got my vote, and didn’t end up looking like the usual “Pinterest fail” we normally end up creating.
You will need:
- Jars (we found ours in hobbycraft in the baking area)
- Cotton wool balls
- Food colouring (we used pink, navy and turquoise)
- Silver glitter
It’s also useful to have some kind of poking stick and some pots to mix the colours in.
Here’s how the magic works….
- Take a small amount of each of your food colouring and mix with water (separately by the way, you don’t want a bowl of brown water!)
- Place a couple of your cotton wool balls into your jar and add one of the coloured waters. A funnel can be useful here if you’ve a tendency to pour it all over the table like myself.
- Poke the cotton wool down, adding more if need be until all the water is absorbed.
- Sprinkle in some glitter.
- Add your next coloured water, we layered dark and then light as they do tend to mix. It all adds to the nebula effect though!
- Squidge in more cotton wool to soak up all the coloured water.
- Add the glitter layer.
- Repeat until your jar is full. We managed to fit three different layers in ours.